The best SEO tips for increasing ecommerce sales
The top priority of online business owners is to increase website traffic and sales. They are often wondering why there is a huge traffic on their website but poor sales. In reality, converting decent traffic into sales is a difficult task given the fact that there are many competitors on the market. It isn’t enough to just have great products on your website nowadays and this is why you should convince a visitor that it is exactly what he/she needs.
Read more: Why usability is important for search engine rankings?
So, what is a website conversion? This is the most important factor of a successful online marketing strategy. Basically, a website conversion means to get your visitors to do what you want them to do (to make a purchase, to signup for the newsletter, to fill out form etc.). An excellent ecommerce website is useless if it doesn’t generate leads or close sales.
What is a good website conversion rate? It depends on your specific industry. In general, the conversion rates for BTC (Business-To-Consumer) ecommerce websites for necessary products are more than 15% while for non-necessary products, it is 1-4,5%. At the same time, B2B (Business-To-Business) rates fluctuate between 5-8%.
For this reason, we offer the following tips which will help you to increase website conversion and sales.
- Evaluate the quality of website traffic. What is the quality traffic? Ideally, the large number of your resource’s visitors should come from your target audience. This is when you know that you have quality traffic. It’s crucial to analyze the quality of the traffic instead of volume. This step will give you the idea of where it comes from and which areas you should concentrate on to increase website conversion. Basically, the more quality traffic you have the more potential customers you can get. In order to understand your traffic better, it’s necessary to use one of the web-analytics systems such as Google Analytics. While using the system it’s recommended to concentrate on the following reports:
- Demographics and Geo. Before looking at the report it’s necessary to determine the target audience segment for your product or service. Demographics is a very useful option which will help you analyze how much target audience users are visiting your resource and how much are not. The report can be found in your Google Analytics dashboard by choosing Demographics and Overview. After looking at the numbers you will be able to analyze whether the current marketing strategy is working or not. Reaching out to your specific target audience is a key to increase website conversion rate. Geo report will give you the information about the location (countries, continents, cities) and the language of your website’s visitors.
- Acquisition (Channels). With this report, you will be able to see which traffic channels are bringing quality traffic and which are not.
- Bounce rate. This report will show you how many people left your resource after viewing only one page as well as the number of total visits. High bounce rate may be caused by poor website optimization and mean that the quality traffic is low.
- The average duration of a session. It will show you the average time the users spend on your resource. The lower the number the lower the quality of traffic.
- Page and Session. The report shows the number of pages the visitor entered before leaving a website. High numbers may identify quality traffic. All this information provided by reports is a great way to increase website conversions and make necessary changes.
- Try to understand the visitors’ behavior. The Landing Pages report will help you understand which the most visited pages of your website are and whether visitors go to the pages you are directing them to or other ones. Behavior Flow report will show you whether the navigation structure of your resource is effective or not. If not then it’s necessary to optimize the navigation.
- Optimize landing pages. The first impression matters. For high conversion a website should be properly optimized. The visitor makes the decision of whether to make a purchase on your website within first seconds. So, the following changes are necessary to:
- increase page speed. The traffic decreases for more than 7% for every extra second of a page load. It’s recommended to use Google Page Speed Tool in order to determine the exact time your website takes to load and use the recommendations on improving the speed of a website.
- create a mobile version of a website. Having an optimized for mobile devices resource is crucial if you want to increase a website conversion. Keep in mind that many purchases nowadays are made using different mobile devices.
- improve picture quality. It’s important for an ecommerce website to have an excellent picture quality of different banners and ads on your landing page and make sure that they are blending with a website theme.
- add proper CTA button. Make sure that visitors don’t have to find a way to get to the desired page. The purpose of CTA button is to provide a direct access to the page you want your visitors to enter. It’s important that the CTA should be linked to the proper page and if you are promoting new shirts’ line than the button should lead the visitor to the corresponding page instead of products page.
- show recommendations. Depending on your target audience it’s wise to include the categories of products which you think may interest your potential clients on you’re your homepage. If you’re selling only several products then it’s recommended to show your best products.
- include all the important information. It’s crucial to include all the credentials and important information regarding secure transactions, refund policies, shipping etc. This will let the visitors know that you’re a reliable online business. The information should be accessible from any page of a website.
- leave contact information. The contact information should be clearly stated on your website. It’s also wise to provide live chat so that visitors could get any information they need instantly.
- Add category pages. It’s important to have pages categories as well as separate pages for each category on your ecommerce website. Here are some tips:
- use headers motivating for action. A good way of making a category page more interesting is to add cool headers. Keep in mind that the image conveys the category.
- if you have sub-categories then it’s a good idea to use pictures to them which will make the navigation easier and represent the content.
- adding different filters will help the visitor to find exactly what he is looking for and save a significant amount of time.
- Product Page. Optimization of a product page is extremely important. It should help visitors to find the desired product, see all its characteristics and make the purchase quickly. You should find the golden mean between overloading and not adding enough information on a website. Here are some of the best recommendations for product pages of ecommerce websites:
- Pictures of products are the most important thing for your product page. The photos should have a high resolution and quality. A potential customer should be able to see all the little details of the product. Add several images taken from different angles so that a visitor could see the product from different sides. A zooming option allows visitors to have a detailed view of an item. It’s important to provide a 360-degree view for visitors to be able to see a dimensional view. Including a short video is a great option to offer.
- The product description is a crucial element of a product page. First, it’s necessary to determine the writing style you will be using for all the descriptions. Make sure to include detailed information and characteristics as well as benefits of the product.
- Proper CTA buttons are playing an important part in an online business. The most important ones are ‘Add to Cart’ and ‘Place an Order’. The buttons should be accessible and clearly visible.
- The cost of a product should be clearly stated and the difference between a full price and the discount. If you’re not providing discounts then it’s necessary to convey that the product has the best price already.
- Reviews play an important part in developing your ecommerce business. Give your clients the ability to write a review and encourage them to give their opinion as soon as the product will be delivered.
- Delivery cost information should be clearly visible to the client before placing an order. The visitor should know the exact cost of the delivery because unexpected charges may cause disappointment.
- Product counter is a great way of motivating a visitor to make a purchase. The counter will show when a few items left and create a sense of urgency.
- Optimize the process of placing an order. The process of purchasing a product should be simple, quick and reliable. The checkout should be carried out in a few simple steps so the customer won’t be confused. Here several tips on optimizing the buying process.
- Show the details of the products in the shopping cart. When a visitor adds the product to cart it should be visually indicated. Also, the information of added items should be also present.
- Don’t force clients to create an account. Large ecommerce websites do force users to sign up before making a purchase due to the ability to provide personalized features and discounts. However, small or middle-sized online businesses should consider if it’s necessary. The easier the buying process the higher the possibility that the client won’t cancel the purchase.
- Optimize the shopping cart. The visitor should feel confident navigating the shopping cart after adding the desired item. Here are some useful tips on optimizing the cart page:
- include all the important product information;
- give an option to remove, save and edit the chosen product in the cart;
- show the total price of the purchase;
- include the estimated delivery date;
- add FAQ;
- include the ability to use a coupon code;
- remove all the distractions so that client could concentrate on the buying process.
- Optimize billing page. It’s crucial to include as many payment options as possible in order to show your customers the flexibility. The input forms should have a minimal number of fields. Make sure to add the option of choosing the shipping address as the billing address. Also, it’s important to include the order confirmation page containing all the details of the order.
- A search of the product. If there are different types of the product on your website it’s important to provide the ability to search items. This option will help visitors who know exactly what they are looking for to make a purchase.
- Keep it simple. Once the clients are ready to make a purchase, they are looking at your policies regarding delivery, refund and return. Keeping the policies simple is a key to success. Customer-friendly attitude will help your website to gain the customers’ trust and loyalty.
Read more: Which factors influence on search engine rankings in 2017?
Of course, there’s no universal way to increase sales of an ecommerce website because every case requires unique approach as well as properly thought out marketing strategy. However, using the tips above will help you to get on the track of improving your resource SEO optimization which eventually will lead to the sales growth.
Date of publication: 04.09.2017