Why usability is important for search engine rankings?
Usability web design and website promotion are closely interconnected as well as they pursue the same goal – to increase target traffic and user activity. When organizing SEO promotion one should remember that search engines strive to provide the maximum quality and relevance of search results. Google algorithms take into account numerous factors according to which the ranking of websites is carried out.
Factors which influence website rankings in search results:
- Usability website menu, easy navigation, easy to use.
- The relevance of the information according to the users’ request.
- The quality of the development and accessibility to different browsers.
General usability principles
Despite the rapid growth and improvement of the search engine algorithms, they still don’t understand textual, graphic and video content like the person does. One of the features which allow evaluating the quality of the content is behavioral activity. By analyzing visitors’ interaction with web pages, search engines estimate the value of the resource, which further has an impact on its rankings. With a good usability web design your website’s conversion will increase significantly, which is why it’s highly recommended to take into account the UX web design possibilities for SEO promotion. The basic principle of a user-friendly environment is ensuring maximum ease of a website’s use. Development of a well thought out responsive UI web design allows increasing visitors’ loyalty, the number of reposts, return visits, links and bookmarks. Similar actions serve as signals for search engines and contribute to increasing website’s ranking.
Usability principles of an ecommerce website
In order to organize an effective SEO promotion, it’s necessary to consider the website’s usability importance. Particular attention should be paid to the following elements:
- Effectiveness. Could users achieve their goals (find the information, process the order, contact managers) using your website?
- Performance. How fast one could reach his goals. In the case of an ecommerce website shopping cart usability is crucial.
- Learning. How easy is it to navigate the structure, achieve the goal during the first visit of the web resource? Properly placed CTA (Call To Action) buttons should serve as a tooltip and motivate to active interaction.
- Recognition. How easy it is to recognize a website, remember its main information which will help to find it in the search engine.
- Satisfaction. Is the resource meeting clients’ expectations? Will they recommend it to friends? UX design influences the visitors’ convenience significantly. That is why it’s recommended to avoid applying difficult navigation schemes as well as heavy animation and dynamic elements which are slowing down the web pages’ load speed. Owners of websites with bad usability cannot grow their business and increase income. That’s why customer satisfaction is the priority.
Basics of a user-friendly website
Why is usability important? In order to organize successful SEO promotion one should understand the basic SEO principles and focus on the following points:
- Get rid of dead links. The availability of notorious 404 error pages makes an Internet-resource not reliable enough in search engines’ eyes as well as has a negative impact on UX usability. Also, you need to make sure that Internet-users who enter an incorrect address of one of your sections will not only see “Not found” message but also working links to the main page.
- Solve language tasks. If a web resource is intended for native speakers of different languages then it's necessary to envisage the development of the corresponding website versions and ability to choose the language needed or an automatic identification of the parameters according to the location. Moreover, it’s important to optimize the language the texts are written in. It’s not recommended to use difficult vocabulary; the textual information should be simple and understandable. Also, one should make sure that the text contains keywords which are matching the search request of an Internet-user.
- Create quality content. When visiting web resource the user should find the information which will help him accomplishing assigned tasks (find, learn, resolve, buy, understand etc.). In case if the content doesn’t comply with the visitors’ goals he will close the tab and visit other resources to find the information. Websites with bad usability lead to the decrease of an income and decline of business’ reputation. That’s why principles of a easy-to-use ecommerce websiteimply creating and providing unique, valuable content which satisfies visitors’ interests and allows achieving positive results of interacting with your website:
- Receiving backward links;
- Increasing loyalty and involvement of the audience;
- Providing growth of conversion actions number.
High-quality content is one of the effective SEO optimization tools which is why it’s important to pay attention to its:
- structure (availability of subtitles, lists);
- informativity and the minimal amount of unnecessary information;
- compliance with search engines’ requirements;
- relevance to the requests.
- Develop understandable navigation structure. Difficult and confusing navigation hierarchy influences the web-page indexation by search engines, decreases the convenience of searching needed information for users as well as decreases the number of conversion actions. The importance of website usability is undeniable. When developing web-page easy-to-use design it’s necessary to create a good architecture. It’s recommended to test UX design with a help of specific applications (for example, Card Sorting, Google Analytics etc.).
- Increase load speed. People become upset when they are waiting for a web-page to load for a long time. Anxious waiting may lead to closing the tab and go searching for the faster resource. Google algorithms consider such behavior during ranking websites. That’s why it’s necessary to check the load speed if a large number of “rejections” appeared.
- Optimize HTML. HTML-code errors not only decrease the website’s convenience but also make it difficult for search robots to “understand” the content which has a negative influence on the rankings, micromarking scanning accuracy and proper view of mobile devices screen.
- Description of images. Graphic content should be accompanied by descriptions (preferably including keywords). Unique alternative text or signatures defining the essence of the image may be used.
- Make sure of adaptivity. Why is usability important? Many Internet-users are viewing web recourses using smartphones, tablets and laptops. This is why it’s necessary to make sure to have an adaptive mobile version or implementing adaptive web design which will allow a proper view of the content on any devices.
Main mistakes decreasing usability quality
Main mistakes decreasing an online store ease of use encountered by Internet-users include:
- confusing navigation;
- difficult architecture, lack of “bread crumbs”;
- the incorrect or incomplete content of the header;
- the absence of “shopping cart”;
- unfortunate location of key elements, snap points;
- using controversial names of buttons;
- the complexity of processing an order;
- low-resolution product photos;
- flashy color scheme;
- the absence of mobile version;
- uninformative, useless content;
- inappropriate advertisement.
Order professional website usability development
During implementation and promotion of web-projects, it’s very important to consider the basics of a user-friendly website. IT DEV GROUP specialists provide development of websites of any difficulty as well as usability analysis of current Internet resources. Implementation and analysis of website usability are carried out according to the specific business’ goals after thorough research of target audience specifics which guarantees the improvement of behavioral factors and conversion rates’ growth.
Date of publication: 09.08.2017